Jump to content


How much does a course cost?
Individual course providers set their own course fees. A moderation fee payable to Trinity will be charged to every trainee by the training organization in addition to the course fee. Trinity does not keep a record of the individual course costs; the course provider should be contacted directly for this information. To find a centre's contact details refer to the 'find a course' page.

How long is the course?
The course is a minimum of 130 hours of study and can be taken on a full-time basis over a minimum of four weeks or on a part-time basis over a longer period, usually anything between three months to a year. There are a few university institutions who build in a Trinity CertTESOL to a BA Degree in TEFL or Languages over a longer period.

Where can you do the course?
Our 'find a course' page allows you to search for validated course providers and their contact details in your area.

How do I apply for the course?
Different course providers will have their own application procedures: contact the centres for details.

When do the courses start?
Different centres will run courses at different times throughout the year; you will need to speak to a specific centre for its course dates.

Can I get any funding to pay for the course?
Some institutions receive government funding towards the CertTESOL programme and are therefore able to charge lower than average fees. 

What is the difference between TESOL, TEFL and TESL?
TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, TEFL for Teaching English as a Foreign Language and TESL for Teaching English as a Second Language.

TEFL is mostly used in the UK and has traditionally been applied to the teaching of English to people for whom English is a foreign language and who will use English largely for short-term study, work or leisure purposes. TESL has traditionally been applied to the teaching of English to people for whom English is a second language in their home country, or people who are settling in an English speaking country. TESOL is an umbrella term that now usually incorporates the other two acronyms.

Can I study for the Certificate by distance learning?
Trinity stipulates that the course must contain at least 130 hours of training combining face-to-face and private study. However, some course providers do add an element of distance learning, such as a pre-course task. Check with the centre for exact details.

What formal qualifications do I need to do the course?
Course providers set their own entry requirements but as a minimum Trinity states that all trainees must have sufficient educational qualifications to gain entry to higher education (i.e. university or equivalent).

Is there an age limit?
Trinity requires that all trainees be at least 18 years old but individual course providers may set a higher age limit. Trinity does not stipulate an upper age limit for the course.

Do I need to have taught before to be able to do the course?
The course is designed for those with little or, more usually, no experience of teaching English.

Can I do the course if English isn't my first language?
English does not have to be your first language but you must be able to demonstrate a high level of English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, whether it is a first, second or foreign language for you.

Is the Trinity Certificate a recognised course?
Yes, it is recognised as a qualification for English language teaching in the UK and internationally.

It is regulated by Ofqual, the statutory body authorised to regulate qualifications in this field in England, and the (former) British Association of TESOL Qualifying Institutions in establishing a national framework of specifications. It is also accepted as an initial qualification by the British Council in the English language teaching organisations accredited by the Council in the UK and in their own teaching operations outside the UK. Many other state and independent sector teaching organisations also accept the qualification.

What books should I read for the course?
Trinity can provide a brief list of books for suggested reading, but each course provider has their own list of recommended reading for their course and this should take precedence.

Where can I buy ELT books?

Do I have to do examinations at the end of the course?
You will have to produce four or five written assignments during the course and these may include a test of grammar and/or phonology. You will also have to complete a minimum of six hours teaching practice with genuine learners of English. All the above will have to be completed to the recognised standard but you will be given lots of professional guidance and support.

How long will it take to receive my results and certificate?
The course provider will let you know your result on the last day of the course. This is after the external moderation and assessment confirms your result. Certificates are then issued to course providers 4-6 weeks after the end of the course.

What if I have a complaint?
If you have a compleint about the course or your assessment results please follow our complaints procedure to ensure that we can correctly log and act upon your complaint.

Will I be qualified to teach children as well as adults or will I need an additional qualification?
The teaching of young learners, especially those aged between 7 and 12 years old, requires more specialised methodology, materials and means of assessment. You can learn more about specific Young Learner pedagogy on the TYLEC (Teaching Young Learner Extension Certificate). If you are teaching in private schools, the CertTESOL should be sufficient to secure you a job. Should you wish to teach in state schools you would need to have a PGCE qualification or equivalent, or you could work as a teaching assistant without PGCE. You should check with government representatives in the country where you are planning to teach.

Can Trinity recommend a validated CertTESOL course in my area?
It is not Trinity policy to promote one validated course over another. You should obtain literature from several course providers in your area and call them direct for further details. They will vary in timing of courses throughout the year and timetabling details so it is likely that one will suit you better than the others.

What is the difference between CELTA and Trinity's CertTESOL?
CELTA is a similar teacher training qualification to the CertTESOL and is offered by Cambridge ESOL. Although similar in its content, mode of delivery and assessment, the two courses differ in terms of more specific components and types of moderation and assessment. Trinity lays great emphasis on reflective journal writing, professional development and self-evaluation for trainees. Both courses are accepted by the British Council as initial TESOL or TEFL qualifications for teachers in its accredited institutions in the UK and in its own teaching operations overseas.



Back to top