Help and FAQs

We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below. Please also read through the filming guide before you record your performance.

Filming guide

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my result and certificate?

It can take up to 6 weeks for your final result to arrive (8 weeks for diplomas), and you can then log in to the portal to see your overall result and grade band.

All certificates will be despatched from September 2020.

How will my result be calculated?

Please see our guidance on how your result will be calculated.

What do I do if I want to query my result?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your exam result please visit our enquiries about results page.

The process for reviewing results is managed by Trinity College London and is not open to external canvassing or consideration.

What is the difference between a calculated and an adapted exam?

An adapted exam is one where the mode of assessment has been changed, but the candidate completes the entire exam. For example, the Music Diploma exams require the candidate to perform their full programme and it is merely assessed by video. In the Communication Skills grades, the tasks have been adapted slightly to enable assessment by video.

A calculated exam is one where the candidate is not required to perform certain parts of the exam, and their final result is calculated for them. We’ve provided some more information on how Trinity is calculating Music and Drama exams here.

Is this the same as a graded/diploma exam?

Yes. This is an alternative pathway for candidates wishing to take their music and drama exams for a limited period. They offer the choice and flexibility to allow candidates to gain recognition at the most appropriate time for their progress. 

What kind of certificate will I receive, and is my exam still regulated?

You will receive the same certificate as you normally would. This is still a regulated graded/diploma exam, just with a digital assessment pathway.

Do Grades 6–8 still carry UCAS points?

Yes, they do. This is simply an alternative assessment pathway for the same qualification. You will not require your certificate to use UCAS points. Towards the end of July Trinity will supply UCAS with data relating to all candidates that have achieved grade 6, 7 or 8. UCAS will then match your result with your application and share it with the university, college or conservatoire where you are holding an offer.  More information is available on the UCAS website.

Are there digital options for Music and Drama Certificate exams?

Although Certificate Exams have not been included, we have produced a guide to help you decide whether you wish to transfer to a graded exam instead. We are not able to accept any group Certificates in Music or Drama.

Qualifications Guide

How do we enter for the digital assessment alternative?

Please see the Booking page to convert or make a new booking.

How long do I wait for the login details?

Once we have processed your application, you will receive an email with details on how to login into the system to upload your video and supporting documentation. We estimate this will be approximately 14 days after completing the form, but occasionally it may take a little longer. If you have not received a message from us outside of this period, please ensure that your mail server has not moved this into your junk/spam folder and contact us at once you have confirmed.  

What supporting documents do I need to upload with my videos?

For Classical & Jazz, and Rock & Pop you should upload a list of your pieces and composers/songs and artists in the order you will be playing these in. For Rock & Pop, you should also mark which is your chosen technical focus song and (where appropriate), which is an own choice song. Scans of any pieces which are not from Trinity publications should be uploaded, as well as any permission letters, if applicable.

I have been given extra time for my exam, does this still apply?

Yes, please upload any relevant documentation to our portal when you submit your video performance at

If my video fails to upload can I resubmit?

Yes, if the examiner opens your video and it hasn’t uploaded properly, you will be notified and can resubmit it.

What happens if my video file is corrupted and the examiner can’t see it?

You will be contacted and asked to resubmit this. Please don’t delete your video performance until you have received your examiner feedback just in case this happens. If you have any technical difficulties with our upload portal you can email 


Do the pieces I play have to be from the graded exams list in the syllabus?

Yes, performance requirements are the same as the normal graded exam.

Do I have to record all my pieces/songs in a single take? 

Yes. The recording and uploading of pieces is intended to replicate as closely as possible the circumstances of the live exam room. Therefore pieces should be played in one take. There can be a short break between each piece as in a live performance, to set up for the next piece, but one continuous video. For guidance on how to compress your video before uploading it, see our filming guide.

Can I still take my piano exam if I only have a digital keyboard?   

Yes, you may use a digital piano (up to LTCL) or electronic keyboard (up to Grade 3), provided the instrument is touch sensitive and is capable of achieving all the technical and musical demands of the chosen pieces (for example, you have a sustain pedal if you need one, it has enough keys without having to change the octave etc). For Classical and Jazz, a solo piano voice must be used.

I have no backing tracks or accompanist; can I still take the assessment?

For Classical & Jazz exams, yes, we allow you to play solo for these assessments.
For Rock & Pop
exams, playing with backing tracks is part of your exam performance.

One of my piano pieces is a duet, what can I do?

You can either ask your teacher to record the duet part, and play along to that in the exam, or play solo (ie without the duet part).

How do I run backing tracks when performing?

Please ask whomever is filming to help you, or you may need another person in the room to operate your playback equipment. Please make sure you set the levels of these correctly before you start performing so that we can hear your instrument and a good balance is achieved. If you have significant problems, you can perform solo.

Do I need to provide copies of pieces I play from alternative lists or my own composition/own-choice song?

Yes. You should scan or take a clear photograph and upload these with your video. 

Why do I need to upload copies of my pieces/songs if I am performing some that are not in a Trinity graded music book?

This is because examiners mark against criteria for fluency and accuracy. All our examiners have copies of our published graded music books but they don’t hold every alternative piece for every instrument. Therefore, it is useful for the examiner marking to be able to see the pieces or songs you are playing in notation form.

If I am performing without accompaniment, what do I do about multiple rest bars?

If your piece includes multiple bars of rests (ie 3 or more bars in a row), you may truncate these for the recording.

What if I don’t have the instrument(s) at home that I need for my assessment?

You can video your performance at school or with your teacher when this becomes possible. In cases where you are unable to get to the instrument(s) you need to complete a video performance, we advise deferring your assessment until you can access these.

Can I use a digital drum kit for Classical & Jazz and Rock & Pop exams if I don’t have an acoustic kit at home?

Yes, candidates can use an electronic drum kit at all grades, provided that it is a full kit and is capable of producing all drum voices, effects, and dynamic variety required for the chosen pieces.

Do I have to use a microphone as a vocalist for my Rock & Pop exam, the syllabus says I do?

No, you do not. We understand that not everyone will have the facility to do this. You may simply sing along with the backing tracks without the need for a microphone.

If a pupil has left their book at school or with a teacher, could the teacher scan and email a musical work to the pupil for the pupil to play from for their exam recording?

Given the current challenging circumstances, yes but please make sure that your copy is destroyed/deleted after the recording. However, we would like to take the opportunity to clarify that, under normal circumstances, we never authorise scanning or copying of books because of the risk of the digital copy accidently being further distributed.

Should the book or the printed music be in shot in my exam video recording to prove that I am using a legal copy of the music?

You must play from the original published book in your exam video. If possible and applicable (i.e. for circumstances others than those detailed in the above question), please make sure the book is in shot. We should also remind you that playing from copies (print-outs or digital/PDF files) is not allowed in exams and making unauthorised photocopies of copyright-protected pieces or copyright-protected books is not permitted.

Where can I find details of the requirements my Drama exam?

Full details of the dram exams can be found in the drama section of the website.

Where can I find more information to help me?

To find more information on how to film and submit your performance please see the Booking page.

If you experience technical difficulties with our upload portal you can email

You can also email us at or if you have any questions. 

What if I am unhappy with the results of my online assessment?

Our Digital Assessment Alternative exams are assessed with the same high quality and standards that you would expect from our face to face exams. All our examiners are fully trained and standardised to assess digital performances based on Trinity’s rigorous prescribed criteria and descriptors.

If for any reason, you would like your exam results to be reassessed, we can do this through our formal results review service.

If you would like to provide feedback or make a complaint about the service you have received
please email You can find our complaints process here.

Keep in touch

Make sure you don’t miss the latest news from Trinity College London. Sign up for email updates about your subject area.