You should read the syllabus requirements carefully before your exam. If you do not meet all the relevant requirements, the examiner may refer your exam result to Trinity's London office for review and marks may be deducted.
Information & Regulations Music syllabus infringements
Skip to the right section: BrassBowed StringsPianoWoodwindJazz WoodwindElectronic Keyboard and OrganGuitarSingingDrum KitTheory and Musicianship
Brass publications errata
Treble Clef Brass Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises
- Page 19, Grade 4 – the A major scale and arpeggio should be played from low A to middle A, not an octave above. [amended in second impression, December 2015]
French Horn Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises
- Page 12, Grade 3 v B flat horn lip flexibility exercise: the B in bar 12 should be a B flat; the F in bar 18 should be an F sharp. [amended in second impression, March 2015]
Trombone Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises
- Pages 13-14, Grade 3 – the G minor scale and arpeggio should be played in the lower octave, not an octave above. [amended in second impression, May 2015]
Featuring Melody for Treble Brass (published by Brass Wind)
- Three On Five by Peter Lawrance (Grade 6, list B) should have a metronome mark of crotchet = 140 (not crotchet = 40).
Bowed Strings publications errata
Violin Exam Pieces 2016-2019 Grade 2 (CD audio)
- Tracks 8 and 9 are swapped around from their published order, and the same is true of tracks 18 and 19. The actual track order on the CD is: 8. Rezele (performance); 9. Leirkasten (performance); 18. Rezele (accompaniment); 19. Leierkasten (accompaniment)
Violin Exam Pieces 2016-2019 Grade 5
- Somervell 'Bourée' (score page 8, part page 6) should have an alla breve ('cut common', 2/2) time signature, and a metronome mark of minim = 82.
Violin Exam Pieces 2020-2023 Grade 6
- Elgar 'Mot d'amour' (score page 32, part page 16 & recording) bar 3: The violin C sharp on beat 3 should be a B natural (tied from beat 1). Either version will be acceptable in the exam. [amended in the second impression]
Violin Exam Pieces 2016-2019 Grade 7
- Handel 'Largo and Allegro' (score page 24) bar 59 RH first chord should be A and C# (not G# and B).
Violin Scales, Arpeggios & Studies from 2016
- Page 20, 'Twinkling Tango' bar 6 – F sharps should be F naturals in this bar.
Double Bass Scales, Arpeggios & Studies from 2016
- Page 24, ‘Spicy Goulash’ – should be in B flat minor (ie 5 flats rather than 6).
Bowed Strings & Harp Syllabus 2016-2019 errata
- Scales are listed as starting with a long tonic, but may also be played in even notes. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 8 – Mozart Allegretto is 3rd movt (not 4th) [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 8 – In the Schott edition the Vivaldi 1st movt is called Spiritoso e non presto (not Allegro) [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 7 – G tonal centre has been removed from the technical work. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 7 – The Stamitz should be Andante moderato (not Adagio). [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 7 – The Schubert Arpeggione Sonata is D821 (not D281). [amended in the online edition]
- Initial-Grade 4 – piano accompaniments for all pieces from Cello Time Joggers, Cello Time Runners and Cello Time Sprinters are available separately (also published by OUP).
- Initial – the product code listed for Four Strings and a Bow book 1 (BOE003927) is for the cello part only.
The product code for the piano part and cello book is BOE003924. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 2 – Legg's Rumba is unaccompanied. [amended in the online edition]
Scottish traditional fiddle
- Incorrect publications are given for two pieces in the Scottish traditional fiddle Grade 7 list:
Pat’s Reel is from The Music of Willie Hunter (Shetland Music Heritage Trust)
Miss Laura Andrews is from The Fiddle Music of Scotland (Hardie Press) [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 5 – G minor arpeggio should be played to 2 octaves rather than 3 octaves.
[Strings section last updated 28 November 2018]
Piano publications errata
Grade 6 Piano Pieces & Exercises 2018-2020
- Page 25 – Exercise 2b ‘Three Against Two Ain't Fair!’ bar 3. LH final quaver should have a natural sign.
Grade 7 Piano Pieces & Exercises 2018-2020
- Page 32 – Exercise 3b ‘Under Control’ bar 7. RH F sharp should be an F natural.
Grade 8 Piano Pieces & Exercises 2018-2020
- Page 30 – Minstrels (Debussy). Bar 72 RH inner voice should read C natural, E natural, E flat, D natural. [amended in the second impression].
Raise the Bar Piano: Grades 3-5
- Page 60 – Kettle Rag (Norton). Bar 87 RH natural sign should be on the C, not the F.
Piano 2018 teaching notes
- Page 3 states: ‘From Initial to Grade 3 there is one list of pieces only, from which three pieces are freely chosen. From Grade 4 up to Grade 8 pieces are in two groups; two pieces are chosen from one group and one from the other’. This should read as follows:
- Three pieces are chosen from the lists. One of these pieces may be a duet.
- The candidate can play an own composition in place of one of the listed pieces (see page 16).
- Three pieces are chosen freely from the lists.
- The candidate can play an own composition in place of one of the listed pieces.
- Pieces are divided into two groups: group A and group B.
- At least one piece must be chosen from each group. The third piece may be chosen from either group or may be the candidate’s own composition.
[Piano section last updated 7 February 2020]
Woodwind publications errata
Clarinet Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises Grades 1-8 from 2015
- Grade 5 – page 26, E major arpeggio – start on the lower E note to match the E major scale. [amended in the third impression, April 2017]
Oboe Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises Grades 1-8 from 2015
- Grade 6 – page 28, diminished 7th starting on B flat – all F double-flats should be replaced with F flats.
Saxophone Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises Grades 1-8 from 2015
- Grade 8 – page 50, F# major arpeggio with a lowered 7th should be marked with an asterisk to denote that it is relevant to the Jazz Saxophone syllabus.
- Grade 8 – page 51, Mixolydian scale on Bb should not have a flat sign before the high C on the second system.
- Grade 8 – page 52, Bb jazz melodic minor scale – final octave descending should have a G natural and no B natural.
Grade 7 Clarinet Exam Pieces 2017-2020
- Page 23 of score and page 10 of part – metronome mark for Templeton In Rhythm should be minim = 80–84 (not crotchet = 80–84)
Initial Flute Exam Pieces 2017-2020
- Page 7 of part – The correct title of the piece entitled Blow the Wind Southerly is in fact Blow the Man Down.
Grade 4 Flute Exam Pieces 2017-2020
- Page 3 (of both part and accompaniment) – J S Bach Siciliano (Group A) – last quaver of bar 1, flute part should be E flat (not E natural).
Grade 5 Flute Exam Pieces 2017-2020
- Page 7 of part, page 12 of accompaniment – Mozart Adagio (Group A) – first note of flute part should be F# (top line of stave), not G. [amended in the second impression, 2018]
Mosaics Flute book 1
- Page 18 – Jig-Jag – tempo marking should be dotted crotchet = 108. [amended in the fourth impression]
Recorder Anthology 3 (Grades 4 & 5)
- Page 21 (recorder part) – Paul Clark A Study – bar 11 semiquavers should read E flat, D (not D flat, C). The following quaver then becomes an E flat.
Woodwind Syllabus 2017-2020 errata
- Grade 5 – Galliard Sonata no. 3 in F, 3rd movt: Adagio and 4th movt: Spiritoso (Group A) publisher code should be IMC2114. (The Schott edition inccorecctly listed is not the correct piece.) [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 1 – Beach Midnight Waltz (Group A) has been removed. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 1 – Rae Three Blue Mice should be listed in Group A rather than Group B. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 8 – Brahms Sonata in F minor, op. 120 no. 1, 1st movt appears twice in Group A. It should be removed from the 'alternative pieces' list (with no subsitute piece), but remains on the list of pieces contained within the Clarinet Exam Pieces 2017–-020 Grade 8 book. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 8 – Mendelssohn Sonata in Eb – only the first movement (Adagio - Allegro moderato) is required.
- Initial – The correct title of the piece entitled Blow the Wind Southerly is in fact Blow the Man Down.
- Grade 4 – Gunning Poirot (Group A) has been removed. It is correctly listed at Grade 5. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 5 – Ravel Bolero (Group A) has been removed. [amended in the online edition]
- Grade 1 – Handel Gavotte is no. 16 from Spielbuch fur sopran-blockflote und klavier.
- Grieg Norwegian Dance (Grade 1), Trad. The Minstrel Boy (Grade 1) and Purcell Trumpet Tune (Grade 2) should be listed in Group B rather than Group A. [amended in the online edition]
[Woodwind section last updated 28 May 2019]
Jazz Woodwind Syllabus 2017-2020 errata
- Off to the Match! by Rae has been removed from the syllabus.
[amended in the online edition]
[Jazz Woodwind section last updated 3 January 2018]
Electronic Keyboard & Organ publications errata
Grade 6 Pieces & Technical Work 2019-2022
- Pages 28, 'Samba Nights' – bar 8, last three quavers should be on Trumpet.
Grade 7 Pieces & Technical Work 2019-2022
- Page 11, 'Violin Concerto in G' – French horns should sound an octave lower than written - this is not noted in the setup box at the top of the page in the 1st impression.
- Page 11, 'Violin Concerto in G' – bar 18 beat 3 change to WW Section (ie remove Chamber Strings).
- Page 14, 'Violin Concerto in G' – bar 67 LH beat 2, should be C#
- Page 16, 'Wedding March' – Accompaniment should be set to 'on' at the beginning, so that the 'sync start' causes the rhythm to enter at bar 5 when the first chord is played.
- Page 16, 'Wedding March' – bar 6 beat 2, the bottom B in the chord should be removed, so that the notes appear the same as in bar 10.
- Pages 17-18, 'Wedding March' – it is not necessary for candidates to change the accompaniment settings of bars 40-49.Page 17, 'Wedding March'
Grade 8 Pieces & Technical Work 2019-2022
- Page 24, 'In Dahomey' – setup box, 'Other info' line 8 – 'register key set to 0 for 39 beat 4-41 beat 3 (played up an octave)' – bar number is incorrect in the first impression.
- Page 29, 'A Night in Tunisia' – setup box, 'Other info' should start 'Fingered on bass chord setting to be used' – the word 'bass' is missing in the first impression.
- Page 34, 'Riverdance' – setup box should state that Piccolo sounds one octave higher than written.
- Page 34, 'Riverdance' – setup box, last line – ‘Bars 26-53 RV Octave -1...' – bar number is incorrect in first impression.
Grade 1 Pieces & Technical Work 2015-2018
- Page 9, ‘The Great Escape’ – one bar's rest should be added after bar 15 and after bar 46. [amended in second impression, October 2015]
Guitar publications errata
Guitar Exam Pieces Grade 1 2016-2019
- Page 2 – Balletto (Anon.) – the repeat barline at the beginning of bar 1 is an error and should be replaced by a single barline. There are no repeats in this piece.
Guitar Exam Pieces Grade 6 2016-2019
- Page 13 – Romanze (Carulli) – the C on the third beat of bar 20 should have a cautionary natural preceding it. The natural sign at the begining of bar 21 is therefore unnecessary.
- Page 17 – Maria (Tárrega) – bar 41 – the top note at the beginning of the bar should be an A, not an F. This error is also present on the CD recording. Either version will be acceptable in the exam, however.
Guitar Exam Pieces 2020-2023 Grade 6
- Page 3 ‘Sarabande’ bar 10. The position marking should be CVI and not CIV. This will be corrected in the second impression.
Guitar Exam Pieces 2020-2023 Grade 7
- Page 16 ‘Serenade’ bar 25 – the B flat should be a B natural and fingering should be 4 for the B, 3 for the G. Bar 28 – the B flat should be a B natural - fingering unchanged
[amended in second impression]
Guitar Exam Pieces 2020-2023 Grade 8
- ‘The Bucks of Oranmore’
- Page 12 bar 40 the G note should be an A
- Page 13 bar 55 the third note (C#) should be a D
[amended in second impression]
- Page 22 – Vals venelozano no.3 ‘Natalia’ (Lauro) – the tempo marking should be crotchet=150-160 [amended in second impression]
Guitar & Plectrum Guitar Scales, Arpeggios & Studies Grade 6-8 from 2016
- Page 35 – the last section (marked mf) is to be played using harmonics for all notes, including the lower strings. This PDF is a clearer representation of what the composer intended.
Raise the Bar Guitar (Book 2) Grades 3-5
- Page 9 – Russian Bear, bar 34 beat 3 should be a D minor chord (bottom to top: A, D, F)
[Corrected in the second impression]
- Page 17 – Ejercicio, bar 30 beat 1 should be an E minor chord in 2nd inversion
[amended in second impression]
[Guitar section last updated 26 August 2020]
Singing Publications errata
Grade 3 Singing Exam Pieces 2018-2021
- 'Cool Cat', audio – on the recording, the second G sharp in bar 8 (page 37) is incorrectly played as a G natural (the first time and on both repeats). The score is correct.
Grade 6 Singing (Low Voice) Exam Pieces 2018-2021
- Page 32-34, ‘Summer' Bar 14, voice first note should be an A (minor third lower). Bar 32, piano LH first two notes should be B & F# (minor third lower). Bar 49, voice second note should be a C (tone lower).
[amended in second impression]
Grade 6 Singing (High Voice) Exam Pieces 2018-2021
- Page 32-34, ‘Summer' Bar 14, voice first note should be a C (minor third lower). Bar 32, piano LH first two notes should be D & A (minor third lower). Bar 49, voice second note should be an Eb (tone lower).
[amended in second impression]
Singing Syllabus 2018-2021 errata
- The correct code for Rutter: All Things Bright and Beautiful (B39) is 9780193420625.
[Singing section last updated 2 May 2018]
Drum Kit publications errata
Drum Kit 2 2014-2019
- Page 29, 'The Chicken' – bars 18-19 should have a hi hat close marking (+) on the first beat of each bar.
Drum Kit 3 2014-2019
- Page 27, Exercise no. 3 – bars 10-15 are written incorrectly in the first impression and should be played as in this PDF. [amended in the second impression]
Drum Kit 4 2014-2019
- Page 40, ‘Brazil Overture' – bar 72 should be played on the ride cymbal, not the hi hat as notated in the first and second impressions of the book. [amended in the third impression]
- Page 44, 'Fusion Illusion' – the flams at bar 10 are to be played on the snare only. [amended in the third impression]
[Drum Kit section last updated 16 March 2018]
Theory & Musicianship publications errata
Theory of Music Workbook Grade 4
- Page 40, 'Subdominant chord in the key of G minor' – the top note on the bass stave of these two chords should be G (top space of the stave), not middle C.
Theory of Music Workbook Grade 7
- Page 76, ‘Treble recorder – sounds an octave lower’ – incorrect as it sounds as written. Amended in 5th impression (2015) onwards.
[Theory & Musicianship section last updated 10 February 2020]