Individual course providers set their own course fees. A moderation fee payable to Trinity will be charged to every trainee by the training organization in addition to the course fee. Trinity does not keep a record of the individual course costs; the course provider should be contacted directly for this information. To find a centre's contact details refer to the find a course page. Sometimes, the TYLEC is only available for internal centre candidates. Check the centre’s website for details.

The course is a minimum of 58 hours of study and can be taken on a full-time basis over a longer period, usually anything between two to four weeks. There are a few centres which build in a Trinity TYLEC into other study options, creating a much longer period of study.

Different course providers will have their own application procedures: contact the centres for details.

Different centres will run courses at different times throughout the year; you will need to speak to a specific centre for its course dates.

Some institutions pay or subsidise their teachers to take the course, but this becoming less common. Check with your employer for details.

Trinity stipulates that the course must contain at least 58 hours of training and some centres do combine face-to-face with some online learning or have an entirely online course. There are also elements of work that you need to do before the course (a pre-course task) and outside of the daily course content. Check with the centres for local details. 

Course providers set their own entry requirements but as a minimum Trinity states that, as a minimum, all course participants should have at least an initial teaching qualification or substantial experience teaching young learners.

Trinity requires that all trainees be at least 18 years old but individual course providers may set a higher age limit. Trinity does not stipulate an upper age limit for the course.

English does not have to be your first language, but you must be able to demonstrate a high level of English language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, whether it is a first, second or additional language for you.

Yes, TYLEC is recognised as a qualification for teaching English to young learners in the UK and internationally. The TYLEC is accepted by the British Council as a specialist young learner teaching qualification for teachers in its accredited teaching organisations in the UK and in its own teaching operations overseas. Many other state and independent sector

The TYLEC is not listed on the UK Ofqual qualifications register as it is only offered outside of the UK. Only qualifications that are offered in the UK can be listed on Ofqual’s qualifications register.

Teachers hoping to teach in mainstream education (primary, secondary, tertiary) should always check the requirements of that particular sector, per country, before embarking on a training course.

Trinity is a member of professional language organisations worldwide, including:

  • European Association for Quality Language Services (EAQUALS)
  • European Associating for Language Testing and Assessment (EALTA)
  • International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL)
  • The Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE)

Each course provider has their own list of recommended reading for their course. Please check with your prospective provider.

You will have to produce various written assignments during the course. You will also have to complete a minimum of four hours teaching practice with genuine young learners of English. All the above will have to be completed to the recognised standard and you will be given lots of professional guidance and support to help you achieve the necessary level

The course provider will let you know your result on the last day of the course. This is after the external moderation and assessment confirms your result. Certificates are then issued to course providers 4-6 weeks after the end of the course.

We take complaints very seriously and want to make sure that courses and assessment run according the Trinity’s requirements. Trinity requires every centre to have a centre complaints process. In the first instance, you should speak to your tutor / course director or centre manager/principle about the complaint. They will be able to advise you about the complaint.

For the TYLEC, if your complaint is about the delivery or assessment of Unit 1 (Teaching Skills), then you need to go through your centre’s complaints process. If your complaint does not get resolved after following this process, you can let Trinity know by following our complaints procedure and we will do our best to help.

If your complaint is about Unit 2 (Materials Assignment) or the conduct of the moderator, please follow our complaints procedure to ensure that we can correctly log and act upon your complaint.

In order to run courses for any of our TESOL qualifications, a centre must first become a validated course provider.

We welcome applications from centres and institutions globally, and support them throughout the validation process. Further details on this process can be found on our Become a validated TESOL course provider page.

Keep in touch

Make sure you don’t miss the latest news from Trinity College London. Sign up for email updates about your subject area.

Back to top