As the CertPT is an in-service, developmental teaching qualification, it is necessary for prospective course participants to have as a minimum:
- An initial teacher education qualification, eg a Trinity CertTESOL, or local state sector qualification, plus a minimum of 6 months teaching experience
- Substantive teaching experience (at least two years) that allows a candidate to complete the assessment tasks to the level required
Who is the CertPT suitable for?
- Teachers already holding an initial teaching qualification who wish to evidence further refinement of specialist knowledge and skills around context-specific resources
- Teachers holding an initial Level 5 English language teaching certificate seeking career progression with a Level 6 qualification that evidences professional development, before preparing for an advanced Level 7 Diploma in TESOL
- Experienced teachers wanting a professional development course delivered in English or bilingually, with the option of submitting written assignments solely in English, or in English and Spanish or English and Mandarin
The CertPT will also be of interest to school leaders interested in supporting the continuous professional development of their English language teaching staff in order to raise standards and encourage best practice within their institution.