Local news and updates

TESL Canada Accreditation Information

To teach at language schools in Canada you need TESL Canada accreditation. TESL Canada only grants certification to those who completed a course at a recognized centre. Those who completed another program must apply for TESL Canada equivalency via the PLAR program, which assesses your qualification and other documentation. Contact TESL Canada (tesl.ca) for more information.


Important Music Syllabus Update

NEW syllabuses:

  • Brass 2015-2018
  • Guitar 2016-2019
  • Jazz Woodwind 2017-2020
  • Electronic Keyboard & Organ 2015-2018
  • Piano 2018-2020
  • Singing 2018-2021
  • Strings & Harp 2016-2019
  • Woodwind 2017-2020
  • Certificate Exams 2017-2018
  • Percussion 2017-2019

New syllabuses starting 2018 will take effect in January 2018.  All repertoire in the syllabuses with ending year 2017 will continue to be available for the duration of 2018 only under the extended *overlap arrangements.

* Overlap Arrangements:  Candidates must perform from all repertoire and exercises/studies listed from ONE syllabus - either repertoire and exercises/studies from syllabus year ending 2017 or from new 2018 syllabus.  You must not mix repertoire and exercises/studies from both syllabuses.

New Publications

  • Piano Scales & Arpeggios from 2015
  • Piano Exam Pieces & Exercises & CD 2018-2020
  • Electronic Keyboard Exam Pieces & Technical Work & CD 2015-2018
  • Violin Exam Pieces & CD 2016-2019
  • Violin Scales, Arpeggios & Studies from 2016
  • Singing Sound at Sight includes CD with piano accompaniment (2nd series)
  • Guitar Exam Pieces & CD 2016-2019
  • Plectrum Guitar Pieces 2016-2019
  • Guitar & Plectrum Guitar Scales, Arpeggios & Studies from 2016
  • Flute & Jazz Flute Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Clarinet & Jazz Clarinet Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Saxophone & Jazz Saxophone Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Treble Clef Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Bass Clef Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • French Horn Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Trombone Scales, Arpeggios & Exercises from 2015
  • Music Theory Model Answer Papers 2015 & 2016 all grades
  • Clarinet Exam Pieces 2017-2020
  • Flute Exam Pieces 2017-2020
  • Drum Kit Exam Pieces from 2014 
Trinity Theory & Practical exams
Trinity Practical and Theory examinations are held at various centers throughout the USA and Canada.  Additional centers may be set up if there are enough candidates for a viable center.  Please contact the North American Coordinator if you would like to set up an examination center in your area and she will be happy to help.  In US and Canada, Practical exams are given once annually in May-June and the Written exams are given twice annually in May and November.  There are no pre-requisites to take the practical or the written grade and certificate exams.
Syllabus Updates:
 a) Music Syllabuses:  There are NEW syllabuses for Piano, Keyboard & Organ, Woodwind, and Jazz Woodwind.  The new syllabuses take effect from January, 2012.  There is a one session overlap from the old syllabus for the above subjects only.  All others MUST follow the current syllabus.  Candidates must perform from the repertoire listed from ONE syllabus.  You may not pick repertoire from both syllabuses.

Please visit Trinity’s website regularly for syllabus updates and most recent impressions.  Please check the hard copy of your current syllabus on the inside cover to make sure you have the latest edition of the syllabus.  

Important - Examination Regulations

Please READ all exam regulations from the Introduction page of the syllabus onwards and also the Information & Regulations booklet.  Answers for many of the frequently asked questions are found in these pages.

Certificate Exams: there are three levels of certificate exams:

  • Foundation certificate is between grade 3 & 4
  • Intermediate Certificate is between grades 5 & 6
  • Advanced Certificate is after grade 8, between grade 8 and ATCL diploma.  

Candidates should consider taking the Certificate exams if the candidate is too young or does not have the musical maturity to go on to the upper levels, or needs an extra year to improve on sight-reading skills.  Advanced level candidates are strongly advised to take the Advance Certificate exams before launching into the professional diplomas.  The expectations and criteria for the professional diplomas are very high and many candidates underestimate the standard required to pass.  The Certificate exam syllabus is also found in Trinity’s website.  Please make sure you read all regulations for the Certificate exams on the website, not just the repertoire requirements.

Drama & Speech Syllabuses:  There are no changes for 2018.

Trinity College London Exhibition Prize

Prizes are awarded annually to candidates who have gained the highest distinction marks in a practical examination at Grades 5-8 and Advanced Certificate.  The value of each award is:

Grades 5 and 6 - £30

Grades 7, 8 or Performer’s Certificate - £50

The number of annual prizes which may be awarded for each of Grades 5-8 and Advanced Certificate for Bahamas, West Indies, USA and Canada is ONE (one for all music subjects and one for all drama & speech subjects).  Winners of the Exhibition Prize are notified automatically by Trinity.

Take a look at the case study of student Kathy Hsieh, who won the Trinity College London Exhibition prize in 2014 and is now working towards her ATCL. 


Keep in touch

Make sure you don’t miss the latest news from Trinity College London. Sign up for email updates about your subject area.