Exam format and timings
At Intermediate stage, GESE exams take the form of a topic discussion, an interactive task and an unscripted conversation with a Trinity examiner.
- Topic discussion - on a prepared topic of the candidate’s choice
- Interactive task – ask questions and respond interactively
- Conversation - about two subjects selected from a list by the examiner
As they progress through the grades, candidates undertake tasks that require a more advanced use of language.
Grade and timings
- Grade 7 - CEFR level B2.1 - 15 minutes
- Grade 8 - CEFR level B2.2 - 15 minutes
- Grade 9 - CEFR level B2.3 - 15 minutes
- GESE Exam Information
This essential booklet provides everything you need to know to prepare students for the exams at every level - the exam format, exam content, procedure, timings and what candidates need to be able to do at every GESE stage and grade.
- Performance descriptors
Candidate Performance Descriptors are used by Trinity examiners to assess each candidate’s performance against the exam requirements.
Adapted procedures for online assessment