English language tests for licensed drivers in the UK
ISE: Integrated Skills in English I (B1)
About the test
An English language requirement applies to all new applicants for Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver licences.
Trinity’s ISE I Secure English Language Test (SELT) is approved by Craven District Council for this purpose – full details and how to book this exam are detailed below.
ISE I = B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
Prepare for your test / learning support
|Learning support resources||SELT preparation courses|
Book your ISE I test
Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by Craven District Council for Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver licence applications.
|Book Leeds||Book Manchester|
Take with you to the test
- You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre - please read Trinity’s SELT Centre Candidate ID policy
- Remember to download and complete a Topic Form to take to the test for discussion with the examiner
Results and certificates
When you get your results for ISE, you receive:
- a certificate if you passed both parts of the test
- a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test
Certificates are usually sent within 21 days of candidates passing both parts of the ISE test.
Visit Understanding your ISE I (B1) results for:
- Information if you pass or fail
- Understanding your diagnostic report
- ISE scoring information
- How to improve your skills if you have failed
Approved by UKVI
Trinity SELT qualifications are also approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used if applying for: