Jump to content

English language tests for private hire drivers


Test overview 

ISE: Integrated Skills in English I (B1) 

  • SELT - Secure English Language Test
  • Test of 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • Test taken in 1 day
  • Certificate usually sent within 21 days 


About the test

An English language requirement applies to all applications for private hire driver licences received by TfL (Transport for London) on, or after, 14 October 2016. This includes applications for both renewal and new licences.

Trinity’s ISE I Secure English Language Test (SELT) is approved by TfL for this purpose – full details and how to book this exam are detailed below. 

ISE I = B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).


Prepare for your test / learning support

Learning support resources SELT preparation courses


Book your ISE I test

Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by TfL for private hire driver licence applications.

Book London Croydon Book London Hammersmith Book London
Kings Cross


Take with you to the test

  • You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre - please read Trinity’s SELT Centre Candidate ID policy
  • Remember to download and complete a Topic Form to take to the test for discussion with the examiner


Results and certificates

When you get your results for ISE, you receive:

  • a certificate if you passed both parts of the test
  • a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test

Certificates are usually sent within 21 days of candidates passing both parts of the ISE test.


Visit Understanding your ISE I (B1) results for:

  • Information if you pass or fail
  • Understanding your diagnostic report
  • ISE scoring information
  • How to improve your skills if you have failed



Approved by UKVI

Trinity SELT qualifications are also approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used if applying for:

  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
  • Further Leave to Remain
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas



Back to top