ESOL Skills for Life (UK)
Trinity’s ESOL Skills for Life qualifications are for adults aged 16 and over living in the UK who need English language skills for everyday life, for study and for employment. Preparing for Trinity assessments helps learners to develop the English language and transferable communication skills that they need for life in the UK.
These qualifications are based on the National Standards for Adult Literacy and are closely aligned to the Adult ESOL Core Curriculum.
Available at five levels from Entry 1 to Level 2, each ESOL Skills for Life award is a qualification in its own right.
- Speaking and Listening
- Trinity ESOL Skills for Life Certificate - awarded when individual certificates have been awarded at the same level.
Specifications and resources
For exam specifications, sample practice papers and videos, visit the resource page for the level you require:
Pre-Entry level exams
For beginners who aren’t yet ready for an Entry 1 qualification, Trinity’s ESOL Step 1 and Step 2 exams offer learners the opportunity to mark their progress while working towards Entry level ESOL qualifications.
Trinity's ESOL Step and ESOL Skills for Life qualifications are designed to aid progression and access into mainstream education and employment paths where English language skills are a requirement.
Fees, exam dates and administration
- Fees - September 2018 to August 2019
- Fees - September 2019 to August 2020
- Exam dates and booking information: see ESOL Skills for Life exam administration
Candidates cannot bring mobile phones, laptops or other devices into the Speaking and Listening exam room to support Task 1.
Candidates must bring their photograph or picture (or presentation outline at Level 2) as a printout or paper copy. This is to comply with Trinity security regulations and to improve efficiency with a standardised approach.
Find out how the exams are assessed and marked and see examples of a candidate results slip.
- To help get you started with Trinity exams, we offer professional support to teachers and administrators preparing candidates for our exams, including visits, workshops and seminars
- Download an ESOL Skills for Life factsheet summarising information about these qualifications
- Check the regular updates to our ESOL Skills for Life news and events page
- For more information and to find out how you can offer Trinity ESOL Skills for Life qualifications, email firstname.lastname@example.org
During 2017 Trinity’s ESOL Skills for Life qualifiations transitioned from the QCF to the RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework). To find out more about the transition read our answers to FAQs.