Exam format and timings
At Elementary stage, GESE exams take the form of a topic discussion and an unscripted conversation with a Trinity examiner.
- Topic discussion - on a prepared topic of the candidate’s choice
- Conversation - about two subjects selected from a list by the examiner
As they progress through the grades, candidates undertake tasks that require a more advanced use of language.
Grade and timings
- Grade 4 - CEFR level A2.2 - 10 minutes
- Grade 5 - CEFR level B1.1 - 10 minutes
- Grade 6 - CEFR level B1.2 - 10 minutes
- GESE Exam Information
This essential booklet provides everything you need to know to prepare students for the exams at every level - the exam format, exam content, procedure, timings and what candidates need to be able to do at every GESE stage and grade.
- Performance descriptors
Candidate Performance Descriptors are used by Trinity examiners to assess each candidate’s performance against the exam requirements.
Procedures for online assessment