Flexible graded exams encouraging pianists to play to their strengths
The music you want to play
The performer you want to be
The recognition you deserve
The Piano 2018-2020 syllabus
The new Piano syllabus is valid from 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2020.
Get a taster of some of the pieces and exercises from the 2018-2020 syllabus by downloading a free sample booklet. Including specially commissioned pieces by contemporary composers, the booklet gives you free pieces and exercises across a range of grades and musical styles.
Register your interest
Stay up to date with news about the new Piano syllabus, publications and professional development programmes, as well as giveaways and offers.
Enter for a Piano exam
There are two ways to book an exam:
- Download an entry form here and send it with the full fee to your local representative, or
- Book online using Trinity's new music booking service - this is currently available at selected UK centres only. The service permits booking and payment online, and the ability to choose a date at the point of booking.
You should read the syllabus requirements carefully before your exam. If you do not meet all the relevant requirements, the examiner may refer your exam result to Trinity’s London office for review and marks may be deducted. Please see Information and Regulations and Syllabus infringements for more information.
Supporting Piano publications
The following are available at your local music retailer or via our online shop:
- New Piano Stories books
- Piano Pieces & Exercises (Initial to Grade 8) available as book only, and book with CD and teaching notes
- Piano Teaching Notes book
- Piano Scales & Arpeggios books
- Piano Exercises book
- Raise the Bar Piano books
- Sound at Sight Piano books
Visit our online shop
Digital resources are available to support learning, including advice and content on:
- Pieces, performance and technique
- Supporting tests
- Technical work
You can access:
- Bite-sized videos to support the syllabus
- Practice resources for learners
- Tips for teachers
Full details of entry procedures and exam regulations can be found in our Information & Regulations booklet.