Tier 4 (General) Student visa (B2)
For a Tier 4 (General) Student visa - degree level and above - you will need to pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) at least CEFR level B2 in Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening.
Note: some universities may require an ISE III (C1) - please check with your sponsor.
Trinity’s ISE II exam = CEFR B2
Book your exam
You must take exams for visas at a SELT centre.
Prepare for your exam
Visit ISE II (B2) teaching and learning support resources to find guidance and preparation activities designed to help you understand and practise for this exam.
Take with you to the exam
- You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre. Please read Trinity’s SELT Centre Candidate ID policy
- Remember to bring your topic notes, a diagram, or a mind map to the exam for discussion with the examiner - see Guide for Students – ISE II
Results and certificates
When you get your results for ISE, you receive:
- a certificate if you passed both parts of the exam
- a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the exam
Candidates who pass both parts of their ISE SELT test usually receive their certificate within 14 days.
Visit our Understanding your ISE results page for:
- Information for if you pass or fail
- Understanding your diagnostic report
- ISE scoring information
- How to improve your skills if you have failed
What do CEFR, SELT and ISE mean?
- CEFR = Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- SELT = Secure English Language Test
- ISE = Integrated Skills in English