Jump to content

English exams for UK visas

Trinity exams remain approved by the Home Office

Trinity’s GESE and ISE exams remain on the list of English exams approved for UK visa and immigration purposes.


If you or your spouse need a visa to settle in the UK, you must pass an English speaking and listening exam. Trinity GESE exams are approved by UK Visa and Immigration for visa applications.

B1 - GESE Grade 5 if you want to become a UK citizen.

A1 - GESE Grade 2 if your spouse wants to settle in the UK.

Find your nearest authorised SELT centre and book your GESE exam. The centre can answer all your questions about taking GESE.

You’ll need to provide proof of your identity – our SELT Centres Candidate ID policy (PDF, 206KB) explains what ID is acceptable.

Find dates for GESE exams


About GESE exams

• GESE Grade 2 (A1) for spouse/partner Visa

• GESE Grade 5 (B1) for naturalisation

• Tests speaking and listening only; this meets UK Home Office requirements

• 6 minute (Grade 2) or 10 minute (Grade 5) interview with a Trinity examiner

• Immediate provisional result; you will know if you met the required language level

• Official certificate posted within 2 weeks


GESE support and resources

Watch videos of real GESE Exams

The GESE Exam Information booklet (PDF, 771KB) explains what each grade is like, and the level of language that is expected.


ISE exams for Tier 1, 2, and 4 visas

Trinity's Integrated Skills in English (ISE) exams are recognised by UK Visa and Immigration as a valid proof of English proficiency for those applying for Tier 1, 2 and 4 visas.

Find dates for ISE exams


More information 

All Trinity certificates are valid for life but where they are used for immigration we have recommended to the UK Home Office that only certificates less than two years old should be accepted.

Spouses applying for indefinite leave to remain will also need to pass the Life in the UK test - this is not a Trinity test.

Under current UK immigration rules and unless exempt, anyone applying for settlement or naturalisation must show that they have passed a speaking and listening qualification in English. Trinity’s GESE is recognised by the UK Home Office as a valid qualification for people who need to meet the English language requirement for settlement and naturalisation. 

Trinity Secure English Language Test follow strict security procedures and are inspected regularly by the UK Home Office and Trinity. Trinity's contract with the Home Office has been extended.



Back to top