Trinity’s range of Diplomas is being updated and some of our higher level qualifications are due to be withdrawn.
For more details on which ones, and the timeline for withdrawal please read our news release.
Extension to Trinity’s Music Performance & Teaching Diplomas
Please note: the 2009-2017 Performance and Teaching Diplomas Syllabus has been extended until the end of 2018.
Trinity teaching diplomas cover instrumental and vocal teaching to individuals, small groups and in the classroom. The highest level FTCL Diploma, aimed at experienced teachers, is more research-based.
The Diplomas aren't tied to any particular course: you choose how you want to study for your diploma - on your own, with your teacher or through a programme of study.
ATCL Principles of Instrumental/Vocal Teaching
This examines how well you understand the theory behind effective music teaching, and your ability to plan and deliver teaching activities.
- Minimal teaching experience needed
- Aimed at individual or small group teaching
- Equivalent in difficulty to the first year of an undergraduate degree
LTCL Instrumental/Vocal Teaching (individual or small instrumental groups)
LTCL Music Practice: Teaching (classroom group)
A step up from ATCL, these are designed to let you show you can plan and deliver teaching to individuals and small groups at all abilities, and taking full control of the teaching environment. You’ll show your understanding through a mix of research, documented experience, case studies and critical reflection. The examiner will also evaluate your teaching.
- Aimed at individual and small group teaching or large groups (15+ students)
- Equivalent in difficulty to the final year of an undergraduate degree
FTCL Music Education
This dissertation-based diploma is based around a piece of original research related to music education – it must be useful to music teachers. You’ll present your work to fellow professionals, who will question you about it.
- Aimed at experienced teachers looking to undertake a research project
- Equivalent in difficulty to a postgraduate course at a conservatoire or university
Enter for a Teaching Diploma exam