Jump to content

FAQs for private hire drivers

Trinity's ISE I (B1) SELT for private hire drivers


What is a SELT?

Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) assess English Language ability and are taken under specific secure conditions.

Trinity's ISE I (B1) SELT is accepted by Transport for London (TfL) for private hire driver applications where evidence of English language ability is required.

Which SELT exam do I need to take?

Trinity’s ISE I SELT is a B1 four skills test that meets the TfL requirement.

Where can I find more details of Trinity's ISE I (B1) SELT?

Visit our TfL page for more information on this SELT.

How can I prepare for my exam?

To help you prepare for your test, Trinity offers a wide variety of preparation materials and resources including:

  • Self study book and CD available from our online shop

Please note: ISE exams assess language skills and not contextual knowledge about the topics used in the exam tasks. Candidates do not need any prior specialist knowledge about a topic to take the exam.

Can I use this qualification for my visa application through UKVI?

Trinity College London SELT qualifications are approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used for applications for:

  • Further leave to remain
  • Indefinite leave to remain
  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
  • Tier 1, 2 and 4* visas

Click here
 to see a list of UKVI English language requirements. 

*Below degree level. Although UKVI requires a B1 test, some institutions require B2 — please check with your sponsor.


Taking a Trinity SELT exam

Where can I take a Trinity SELT exam?

Trinity has 3 centrally located SELT centres in London at Croydon, Hammersmith and Kings Cross which hold regular exams for ISE I (B1).

View our London SELT centre map to find your closest SELT centre.

Where can I book a Trinity SELT exam?

You can book your exam here.

What ID do I need to book a Trinity SELT exam?

Your ID must be valid on the date of the exam, and you must have it with you on the day of the exam. The following are the only ID types that can be used to book an exam:


ID type


Passport -
European Union (EU) ID card European Union ID cards will only be accepted for candidates whose country of origin is within the European Union (EU) which are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden. The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.
Biometric Residence Permit Biometric Residence permits will only be accepted for tests taken by candidates who do not have a valid passport. For example, asylum seekers who have been awarded refugee status or leave to stay here under a form of temporary protection will not usually possess a national passport endorsed with leave to enter or remain in the UK.
Travel Document issued by the United Nations or the Red Cross -
Valid Vignette attached to an Immigration Status Document -
Valid Vignette attached to GV3 Document -


SELT results

Where can I find more information on understanding my results?
Click here more information on understanding your ISE I (B1) results and diagnostic report.


About Trinity

Why choose Trinity?

  • We test English by using tasks that reflect real life and our qualifications are reliable evidence of language ability.
  • Trinity’s ISE I (B1) SELT is approved by TfL for new and renewal private hire driver licence applications
  • Trinity SELTs are also approved by UKVI for visa applications
  • Customer service representatives are available to support you 6 days a week
  • Free learning resources and sample papers are available on our website to help you prepare for your test
  • Steward to guide you through your SELT journey on the day of your test
  • Trinity is an international exam board regulated by Ofqual operating in over 60 countries.


What is Trinity College London?

Trinity College London is a registered charity and international exam board that has been testing English language for over 75 years. With a rich heritage of academic rigour and a positive, supportive approach to assessment, Trinity provides recognised and respected qualifications across a unique spectrum of learning areas including English language, music, rock & pop, communication skills, drama and arts activities. Visit About Trinity to find out more.


Further information

What are the contact details for Trinity SELT exams?

Please telephone 0333 358 3183 or email selt@trinitycollege.co.uk

What are the contact details for a general Trinity enquiry?

Please visit Contact us.


Back to top