Understanding your GESE results (SELT)
You receive provisional results immediately on the same day of the exam session.
If you pass your GESE SELT test, you can usually expect to receive your certificate within seven days of the test date.
- Please contact our SELT team at firstname.lastname@example.org (or call 0333 358 3183) if you need to arrange a replacement certificate. Please note that amendments cannot be made to SELT certificates.
- Contact us if you would like Trinity to verify the CEFR/NQF level of an old qualification. You must provide a scanned copy of your original certificate.
Calculating your result
Your performance is assessed against the communicative skills and language requirements listed for your grade in the GESE Exam Information booklet. Trinity examiners consider how well you have demonstrated these items.
Examiners assess your performance using an A-D rating scale. They award a letter grade (A, B, C or D) for each exam task. They use performance band descriptors (PDF, 24KB) to decide what grade to award.
There are four possible results for any GESE exam: Pass with Distinction, Pass with Merit, Pass and Fail. Your overall result is based on the grades you got in the different tasks - the GESE conversion tables (PDF, 83KB) show how we calculate this.
See an example exam report for each grade for:
For more information about GESE for UKVI purposes, return to:
- GESE grade 2 - for further leave to remain, spouse and partner visas (A1)
- GESE grade 3 - for further leave to remain (visa extension) (A2)
- GESE grade 5 - for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship (B2)