English language tests for licensed drivers in the UK

About the test

An English language proficiency requirement applies to all new applicants for Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver licences.

Trinity’s ISE I Secure English Language Test (SELT) at CEFR level B1 is approved by Craven District Council for this purpose – full details and how to book this exam are detailed below.


  • SELT - Secure English Language Test
  • Test of 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • Test taken in 1 day
  • Certificate usually sent within 21 days 
  • ISE I = CEFR level B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
Approved by Craven District Council

Prepare for your test/learning support

Learning support resources SELT preparation courses Special needs requests

Book your ISE I test

Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by Craven District Council for Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Driver licence applications.

Book Leeds  Book Manchester

Trinity is committed to providing you with the safest test experience possible at this time.

SELT test centres and COVID-19 - what to expect

Take with you to the test

  • You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre. Please read Trinity's SELT Centre Candidate ID policy.
  • Remember to download and completeTopic Form to take to the exam for discussion with the examiner.

Results and certificates

When you get your results for ISE, you receive:

  • a certificate if you passed both parts of the test
  • a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test

Certificates are usually sent within 21 days of candidates passing both parts of the ISE test.

Visit Results and certificates for:

  • Information if you pass or fail
  • Understanding your diagnostic report
  • ISE scoring information
  • How to improve your skills if you have failed

Approved by UKVI

Trinity SELT qualifications are also approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used if applying for:

  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
  • Further Leave to Remain
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • Tier 2 and 4 visas
Approved by UKVI


Keep in touch

Make sure you don’t miss the latest news from Trinity College London. Sign up for email updates about your subject area.