English language tests for private hire drivers

Secure English Language Tests to resume

From 1 June, UKVI is beginning a phased resumption of services and we will be resuming Secure English Language Testing at some of our test centres in England from 8 June 2020.

Click here for more information

About the test

An English language requirement applies to all applications for private hire driver licences received by TfL (Transport for London) on, or after, 14 October 2016. This includes applications for both renewal and new licences.

Trinity’s ISE I Secure English Language Test (SELT) is approved by TfL for this purpose – full details and how to book this exam are detailed below. 


  • SELT - Secure English Language Test
  • Test of 4 skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • Test taken in 1 day
  • Certificate usually sent within 21 days 
  • ISE I = B1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
Approved by TfL

Prepare for your test/learning support

Learning support resources SELT preparation courses Special needs requests

Book your ISE I test

Only tests taken at a SELT centre are approved by TfL for private hire driver licence applications.

Book Croydon - London South
Book Hammersmith - London West
Book Kings Cross - London Central

Computer-based test option

Candidates take the Reading & Writing part of ISE I (B1) on a computer at Hammersmith - London West. Find out more.

Take with you to the test

  • You must take proof of identity (ID) to the SELT test centre. Please read Trinity's SELT Centre Candidate ID policy.
  • Remember to download and completeTopic Form to take to the exam for discussion with the examiner.

Results and certificates

When you get your results for ISE, you receive:

  • a certificate if you passed both parts of the test
  • a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the test

Certificates are usually sent within 21 days of candidates passing both parts of the ISE test.

Visit Results and certificates for:

  • Information if you pass or fail
  • Understanding your diagnostic report
  • ISE scoring information
  • How to improve your skills if you have failed

Approved by UKVI

Trinity SELT qualifications are also approved by UKVI for British Citizenship, Settlement and visa applications. This means that the ISE I (B1) SELT can also be used if applying for:

  • British Citizenship (Naturalisation)
  • Further Leave to Remain
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain
  • Tier 2 and 4 visas
Approved by UKVI


Keep in touch

Make sure you don’t miss the latest news from Trinity College London. Sign up for email updates about your subject area.