TfL chooses Trinity as one of the English language test providers for private hire drivers
19 October 2016
Trinity College London has been chosen by Transport for London (TfL) as one of its interim providers of English language tests for private hire drivers. A separate procurement process will shortly take place to award longer-term contracts in 2017.
TfL requires that all new applicants, meet a new English language requirement although those that submit applications received on or before 31 March 2017 have until then to comply. Existing private hire drivers renewing their licence for the first time since the introduction of this new requirement will also need to demonstrate they meet it. Full details on the TfL website.
Applicants need to show their proficiency in English is equivalent to level B1 or above on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) by providing TfL with either:
- a certificate from a Secure English Language Test (SELT) provider appointed by Transport for London confirming that the applicant’s level of proficiency in the English language is at level B1 on the CEFR or above; or
- documentary evidence of a qualification (whether or not the qualification was obtained in the United Kingdom) that satisfies TfL that they have met the English language requirement.
Trinity can help candidates meet the first of these requirements through an Integrated Skills in English (ISE) certificate at ISE I (B1) level, obtained from a Trinity SELT centre.
The two ISE I exam modules – Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening – are taken in a single day at one of Trinity’s three SELT centres across London*.
Phil Bond, General Manager for SELT at Trinity said: ‘As well as meeting TfL’s requirement for English language proficiency, preparing for a Trinity ISE qualification will support the development of valuable communicative skills. We provide a wealth of resources and a list of course providers via our website www.trinitycollege.com/TfL to assist people learning English.’
Trinity is already a Home Office approved provider of SELTs for people applying for British citizenship, visas and leave to remain. There are 10 Trinity SELT centres across the UK.
* The three London SELT centres are at the following addresses:
Notes to editors
- Trinity College London is a leading international exam board offering qualifications in music, drama, arts activities and the English language at all levels. Trinity has been offering exams since 1877.
- ISE is a contemporary four-skills English language qualification and carries the Q-mark awarded by the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE), showing that it meets the highest level of quality standards.
- Trinity exams are regulated by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation) and recognised by many universities, employers and education authorities around the world.