Trinity College London will cease to offer Spoken English for Work (SEW) qualifications from 2017.
Please talk to your Trinity representative about alternative Trinity qualifications which may be appropriate for your candidates.
Note: Trinity Spoken English for Work (SEW) certificates are valid for life and provide reliable evidence of English language proficiency achieved.
SEW certification provides an accurate indication of a candidate’s ability to communicate in spoken English in a variety of everyday work situations.
Employers use Trinity’s SEW exam as reliable evidence of a candidate’s achievement in communication in English. SEW certification is a valuable addition to any candidate’s skills set and can help career development.
Successful candidates receive a certificate, which shows their level of achievement and chosen sector category, such as ‘Hospitality & Tourism' or ‘Retail & Finance’.
Who is SEW for?
SEW exams are open to anyone aged 16 or over whose first language is not English. Candidates will either be preparing to enter the world of work or already have some work experience.
It is suitable to anyone wishing to demonstrate their communicative abilities within a work context. The exams cover a wide range of subject matter and tasks, which reflect a wide variety of real-life working situations.
- a unique work-related speaking and listening exam based on the candidate's chosen sector
- a qualification relevant to any sector, with realistic linguistic tasks such as telephone communication skills
- valuable preparation for job interviews conducted in English
- an opportunity to gain discussion and presentation experience in an informal or formal English-speaking environment
- candidates are motivated to develop real communications skills preparing for real-life situations at work
- a progressive suite of valid assessments from B1 to C1 levels of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
The SEW Specifications provide full details about Trinity’s Spoken English for Work exams.
An A4 information leaflet summarises key features of the SEW exam.